Thursday, July 11, 2013

Blackberries

I traveled back to NC to visit with my sister, Sandi and to pick Blackberries.  She has a couple of acres of Blackberry vines.  And she makes the most delicious jam.  Well any ways, needless to say because of all the rain we all have been having, the Blackberries are not ripening like they should.  Sandi and I did get out on Friday morning for about 3 hours and got about a gallon worth.

The picture is of Blackberries I bought at the fruit/vegetable market Sandi goes to buy her peaches.  But man, these were ginormous!  And very delicious.  They were about 1 1/2" long - every single one of the them.  The guy at the market said he buys them from a grower down there nearby.  I am sorry to say that Sandi's was of the average size but still sweet and good too.

We cleaned them and smashed most of them to get 2 vacuum sealed bags to make 2 batches of jam - which I brought home with me.  I also brought home enough to make a cobbler out of them.  I brought peaches home with me and split with my other sister, Leah June.  I worked mine up and got 4 bags, enough for 4 batches of jam and enough in a 5th bag for a small cobbler also.  Although I am thinking of making a sorbet with them...don't worry I froze everything.

I hope to go back to NC in August sometime, Sandi says the peaches are bigger then.  I am thankful to have family I can visit and also come home with fruits to freeze and be able to make jam and cobblers.  I am very blessed and thankful to God for all my blessings and family I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment