Friday, November 28, 2014

Being thankful...

This Thanksgiving was a small affair; Amanda, Bryan, Leah and me.  Family, nothing like it.  I tried a new pie crust recipe that was easy to mix but a bear to roll out and stay in one piece to move from the the counter to the pie pan.  The reason I made this recipe was it made enough for 4 pie crusts and I had 2 pecan and 2 pumpkin pies to make.  This recipe used a small amount of vinegar in the mix, which I had never read before.  The recipe was from website I have used recipes from that always tasted excellent.  After cutting into 2 of the pies, my family decided that I should not throw away this recipe but keep it cause the crusts were so flaky.
I had to use canned pumpkin for 1 of the pies, I only had 1 pkg. of frozen Cushaw pumpkin in my freezer.  For those of you that do not know, Cushaw squash is the only pumpkin filling my Grandma and Mom used.  It is an old fashion squash that is white and green striped.  It makes the best pies!  Not many farmers grow it anymore.  I had to go clear to Marietta to find some at a roadside market.  My sister, Sandi saved me some seeds and this summer I am growing my own, may take up my whole back yard but on the bright side I won't have to mow so much grass.

On another thought I have the best son-in-law.  Bryan helped me hang a piece of art my Mom crocheted for me.  It it a table top piece and I had it framed with archival glass.  My Grandma and Mom crocheted with thread and made some really beautiful pieces from doilies to table tops to actual table cloths.  My Grandma had a table cloth that she would bring out on Holidays.  I remember it was used on my Grandparents 50th wedding anniversary.  Bryan with the help of Amanda hung my art in my dinning room.
Thank you Mommy for this beautiful handmade piece of art that I treasure so much.  My Mom always crocheted the pineapple motif. I always told my Mom that once she died this form of crocheting in the family would die too.  She always told me that I could take it up and with practice would be able to do it.  I crochet loose and when I have tried to do this kind of work it does not look like this.  I will keep trying.

Yes, this Thanksgiving brought back a lot of memories and also brought to mind all that I have to be thankful for.  First and foremost family.  Friends.  My Lord and Savior. Many blessings; a home, warmth, health, job, enough money, food, and the list could go on forever.  Yes, God is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment